I have read on the Serban Stanescu‘s site the procedure he followed to install Kogaion.
I think I already six days since I struggled with the wireless using methods unexpected even for me as I had no idea what I was doing but I wrote here: http://www.gnulinux.ro/b43-in-kogaion/
Anyway, in the few days I caught drag this operating system. Moves. Turns harder on me because deh, old architecture but … it works pretty well even.
Installation was simple:
- ISO Download from here
- Loaded / written using a stick RUFUS
- On the laptop using USB boot (BOOT setting in the BIOS menu – I went to using F12 immediately after you start the computer but can vary)
- Live version starts (you can tell if you have problems with different hardware – My work is not Wi-Fi)
- Calamares installed using the installer (if this does not work for you, you can try to start the CLI as root Calamares)
- User kogaion have kogaion as password and root password is root – su will require the root password.
- You should set the computer where they are (here as Europe / Bucharest)
- You should set the keyboard (usually I leave them default here because I have not ever seen keyboards in Romanian)
- You have to decide the structure of the disk (partition)
- You must set a user name and password for it with a password for root
- Follow and read SUMMARY – list of changes
- RUN INSTALLATION – actual changes to the system
- The install process ended – Kogaion installed – The computer must be restarted.
For a better organization of your files always set your /home folder on a different partition, dedicated, separated from the root filesystem.
In this way the resettlement of any other operating system (linux based OS), if you use the same user and the same / home partition without formatting all configuration settings will be there.
Kogaion presented from the above ISO version uses the 3.14 kernel.
Right now there are currently implementing tests for kernel 4.4 kernel on which I have installed over 3.14 and is in testing and on my test station.
It seems that 4.4 is stable enough and will be used in versions of Kogaion stable.